The often ignored piece of “Paleo” that is leaving you bloated, uncomfortable, and unable to lose those last couple pounds…
WARNING: This is hard to hear.
You feel like you’ve already changed your diet so drastically. …Why does this eating stuff all have to be soooooo complicated?? Well, the truth is it doesn’t have to be complicated, it shouldn’t be in fact … it should be SIMPLIFIED!
Eating more simply IS Paleo, it IS the primitive way!
Maybe we have tried a little to hard to “have our (gluten-free) cake and eat it too.” Creating elaborate recipes and combinations of foods that mock a meal or dessert from our SAD (Standard American Diet) days.
And now that we know fat is good for us, we want it on everything -and now that protein is all the rage, we might even feel bad if we don’t incorporate it constantly. All in all, we believe we are doing the right thing as long as we just avoid lectins, phytates and bread like the plague.
But why are we still having symptoms? …Digestive issues, heartburn, gas, abdominal pain and swelling, even acne and trouble losing weight. Why oh why isn’t it enough already??
The truth is, the wrong combinations of two foods, even if they are both healthy foods, can wreak havoc on our digestive system and our bodies. If food is not digested properly, you will be left bloated, uncomfortable, and probably still hungry considering you didn’t absorb the all the essential nutrients from your meal.
Foods are broken down and assimilated into our bodies by enzymes -and different types of foods require different enzymes. Eating too many different types of foods at one time confuses the body, and the enzymes required become either neutralized or fail to produce at all.
Here are the basic guidelines in proper food combining:
(and I know it seems complicated, and daunting, and against many ’paleofied’ recipes – it took some time for me to come to terms with this too-…but eating more simply is more primitive and you will feel a humungous difference in your energy, skin, digestion, and overall glowyness – and in the end, don’t we owe it to each other to do what we can to be our very best, healthiest version of ourselves?? …okay enough buffering, here goes…)
1. Always eat fruit alone or with leafy greens and on a completely empty stomach - at least 4 hours since eating, NEVER as dessert!!
2. Eat meat only with greens/non-starchy vegetable – NO added fats or starches when digesting meat! (**this is part of the reason beans are so hard for humans to digest, they are made up of starch and protein-not a good combo for us!)
3. Eat starchy vegetables/grains only with green vegetable **very small amounts of fat are okay, but meats and starches absolutely DO NOT mix (sorry ‘meat and potato’, ‘chicken and rice’, and ‘tuna-noodle’ people – all recipes for disaster!)
4. Eat MOST of your fat with green vegetables only
5. Do not combine two types of protein (yoga and bacon = okay, eggs and bacon = not okay)
This chart may be helpful:
sorry, and your welcome